Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spending Hiatus // Week Two

Have you ever canceled a membership, and you just keep getting charged? That happened with our gym membership. We canceled on January 2nd of this year, and we have been charged THREE TIMES since then. They finally stopped my membership, but somehow didn't cancel Joel's, even though the cancellation was on the same letter that was sent in, and we have both spoken to multiple people, multiple times. It's not a big deal, but we're wasting $60 on something that we're told multiple times that we're being refunded for. Stupid!

As for this week's Spending Hiatus, it was a big bust. I just talked it out with Ben, and I've made it a little better. Here goes:


1) I bought two birthday cards. One, for my grandma (her birthday was last Friday!), and one for my dad (whose birthday is next month -- and sells tools. Perfect, right?). I feel like these are legit purchases, since these are important people and important days!

2) I've been psyching myself up for the new Liberty of London collection at Target. Like, checking back everyday on the website and obsessing over the patterns. The day that they came out, Mariella and I went to Target. I decided that I didn't need anything, and talked myself out of buying anything (except for laundry detergent, but that doesn't count! It was the cheapest there, and smelled the best. Win, win.). Later that night, I made Joel go with me to the other Target to see if they had anything else. See, I had my heart set on one of the gorgeous bedspreads/quilts. They had a billion more things, but after seeing them in person, decided that the quality wasn't my favorite, and it turns out, I didn't need anything. Success!

Fast forward to that night after Joel's asleep, and I'm reading blogs. The first one I open to rea
d is Rachel Denbow's, and I am in LOVE WITH THE QUILT. Again. I mean, look at those pictures of her sweet baby hanging out on that pretty fabric! I wake Joel up, show him the pictures (which he doesn't remember), and order it. Just like that. Two days later, I've decided that I don't need it. I should be paying down my credit card, and I don't need to be adding more things to our house (thanks, Ben and Joel!). I just canceled my order. Phew!3) We went to Tukwila yesterday to buy Joel a new laptop cord, so that we could avoid buying a new one at some point, and he could use the old one. Turns out, his computer still doesn't work well, so we're returning it. And of course, we can't go there without going to H&M and Macy's. Joel walked out with a new purple hoodie ($20), and I walked out with two shirts ($20 total as well). I have justified the hoodie because since Joel and I have been living together (for almost two years), he's never bought a new one -- he's only worn my old ones, which fit him, but are a little too big. As for the shirts, I talked it out with Ben again, and even though they were incredibly on sale (the peacock one from $80 to $5, and the ruffle hoodie from $50 to $12) and good quality, I don't need them. What I do need is to save my money, and lose weight. Once I lose weight, I'll fit into all of those old hoodies and cute clothes that I already have! What an idea. So, even though they're cheap and adorable, they're going back. That should be some good motivation for me.
4) We went to Ikea, walked through, and didn't buy one single thing. There is a first for everything. Congratulate me on this!

5) I ate out. FIVE TIMES. Once with Ben and Mariella to take Mariella out to lunch in exchange for a bunch of healthy snacks, another time to get pizza with Joel (at least it was whole wheat, and a small that we split), another with the whole office to get pho, healthy mexican food with Joel, and a final time to get frozen yogurt with Joel as well. All on separate days, of course. I can't even believe that, when looking at it all written out like this.

Finally, the number one thing that I've done to save money this year though is to not go to SXSW. I've had a big of regret this week as two of my co-works have taken off down there already, and last week, everyone I know and haven't talked to in at least six months has gotten in touch with me to see if I'll be down there. Unfortunately, I won't. But, I can rest easy in knowing that I'm not putting another $400 on my card for the plane ticket, and then a whole bunch more for food, shows, and whatever.

This week, I will be better.

Other good things from the week include a surprise cupcake and pug visit from Mariella and Lou (soooo good!).


Yummy tacos made by my darling Joel.


Having all of my fabric organized and put away!


The best EVER pug print from Mike Dellinger -- uh, check that out!

Pretty blossoms on the trees!


This pretty view from the office! A rainbow!


And this little dude staring at me this morning to wake me up:


I hope that your week is as good as mine has been so far!

Love,
Sarah

No comments: