Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Feeling Totally Crafty


I've been feeling crafty lately, and trying to occupy my time with something productive. I tried my hand at embroidery for the first time (I just kind of went for it, and didn't really figure out the best way to do anything), and made Mariella an embroidery of a Lou, her pug. I followed a pattern from Sublime Stitching. Hopefully my next one will look a little more polished.

Joel and I also took a trip to Shipwreck Beads (the world's largest bead store!) a couple of months ago, and really stocked up on chains and a few charms. I'd had a bunch of these beads in the picture below from my first trip to SB a couple of years ago, and I obviously haven't done too much with them!


I'd been wanting to do something with them for a while, and figured out how to cut my own chain and add the hardware and charms. Obviously, it was pretty easy, but it was exciting to have a brand new necklace to wear. Sometimes, you just want something new, and it was nice to not have to go out and spend a lot of money to get it. Plus, now I have the extra beads, chains, charms, and hardware to make different necklaces, bracelets, etc. for future gifts. How exciting! I'll try to document my progress for both the jewelry and embroideries.

Also in the craft world, I signed up for an online sewing class! It's called Home Ec, and it's taught by these three lovely ladies. I've got a small sewing knowledge (I've taken classes before), but this one looks like stuff that I actually want to know how to make. I'm kind of stoked. I'm trying to convince Joel to let me rearrange our place a little bit so that I can have a place to put my sewing machine (the desk that I bought to use around Christmas time was taken over by the new computer that we bought a couple of months ago. Eekkk -- I was trying to keep it hush, hush because I was embarrassed about the stupid amount of money that we shouldn't have spent. But gosh, I love it! ). Cross your fingers we can make it work in our tiny, tiny place! If so, hopefully I can whip out some of the easy projects this week. Eeeee! So excited!

Edit: Joel just came home, and he's going to help me rearrange! Yayyy! And thanks to him and Tom Murphy, you get to watch this ridiculously fantastic music video (seriously, you have to watch it!)! I think that we own those same drums!




xoxoxo,
Sarah

1 comment:

mer said...

the evolution revolution just made my day!