Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Spending Hiatus: The End of Week Two (And A Half)


I've resumed my spending hiatus (for real), and have actually been doing pretty good with it. We have been living off of the groceries that we have at home, eating mostly veggies, fruits and beans, and have only made a couple of trips to the store (for turkey, cat food, and diced tomatoes), and eaten out only when we were out of town . . . not bad! It kind of goes hand-in-hand with my decision to lay off the carbs and sugar for a while (the last time I did it for just a week, I lost 6 pounds), so here's hoping that it will help push me in the direction of healthier foods (fruits and veggies), and away from the bread and ice cream (sigh, my downfall). Big pots of vegetable soup left-over stir-fry are getting me through and are good meals (and snacks). This week, I lost 2.4 pounds. It pays to pay attention to what I'm putting into my body!
It feels better to take care of myself than to mindlessly consume (food and stuff alike). I need to remember this!

I have officially not purchased anything since the beginning of the month, with the exception of the cute frames above for the beautiful black and white watercolor paintings that Rhett Nelson
made for me to give to Joel on our two-year anniversary. So pretty, right? They look exactly like our little babies! Fortunately, I'm able to trade Rhett photos of his pretty family for his pretty little kitty paintings. Though I would have gladly paid him for the paintings, I have to say that I love trades!

I have to admit though (and part of why I'm writing this post), is that I almost just slipped up -- and bad! I was reading blogs last week, and saw a picture of a Liberty of London planter. Um, how did I not even know that these existed? I feel like I've looked at the LOL stuff at least 50 times (probably more -- pathetic, I know), and I've never seen these guys! I had the I HAVE TO HAVE THIS feeling, and found one on eBay. I logged in, I hit the buy now button, and saw that to have this one planter, I would be paying $37.98, including shipping. And then I came to my senses, thank goodness. Also in my carts on the Target website, are the Liberty of London Bicycle, and the curtains. Of course I needed to have them, right? Not really. In the last two days, I've also convinced myself that I need this dress (also in purple), and six records and gobs of pretty fabric on Amazon. Luckily, my awesome uncle sent me a gift certificate to Amazon for my birthday, and if I decide that I can't stand it, I will give in and purchase something sweet. Or something responsible, like a cheap new phone. I think that Joel and I are trying to get rid of our iPhones to save some c@$h m0n3y on a monthly basis, and to put it towards the credit card. That stuff adds up!

Speaking of my birthday, it was two days after our anniversary (August 4), and it was pretty darn sweet! Actually, I'll first show you pictures of the day before, which was Angela's birthday -- she's one of our current interns! That same day, Joel's new guitar arrived!




And then we had ice cream cake! Yum!
Around 3 am that night (my birthday!), we picked up our friend, Ed, and drove to a hill in Tumwater to see if we could see the Solar Tsunami (aurora borealis). We kind of actually could! Can you see the bright lights above the ridge to the middle/right? We've gone back since, and it hasn't been there again. Kind of pretty! I hope someday we can see it closer and larger someday. It's on my life list!

We tried to find a better place to see it, and ended up by the water. Ed was trying to catch small fish and crab in his slurpee cup. And he did!



At lunch that day, we went to Mercado's for lunch. And it was totally yummy!





Since we didn't go swimming (it wasn't warm enough, boo!), and Joel had to work, Mariella invited us over for a bbq at her house for dinner. Joel ended up getting off early that night so that he could be a part of the birthday celebrations! It was totally yummy, relaxing, and mellow. I loved it!





Judy brought over this wine -- check out the pretty label!


My sweet pea surprised me with a pair of cute pink sunglasses, a Sonics record, and an air plant. Mariella gave me a beautiful vintage owl necklace, and Joel B. surprised me with a pretty bouquet of picked flower and a grow-your-own crystal tree! Awesome!




And more recently, Joel and I have been trying to have exciting weekends as close to home, and as cheap as possible. We went blueberry picking with Ben, Joel B., Mariella, and Lou (and didn't see any snakes!!).

And this past weekend, we did a lot of meteor shower watching, swimming at Lake Cushman, night swimming at a private lake with Judy, a drive-in movie at the Shelton Skyline Drive-in (it was a double feature -- Despicable Me and Toy Story 3 -- loved them!), and a day trip to Portland to photograph Starf*cker! We had a mellow drive down there (it's about two hours away from Oly), got lunch at a yummy healthy Mexican restaurant, and drove from place to place taking tons of pictures, and finally ending up at the river. It was HOT! Those guys are so fun and sweet. I love it every time we get to take pictures. Once we left them, Joel and I made a quick stop at Urban Outfitters to look for Levis for Joel (his had a huge rip in the knee -- and now they're cut-off shorts!), but didn't buy anything, and went to dinner at Nicolas for yummy Mediterranean food. Mmmm!

No comments: