Thursday, August 5, 2010

What the Heck Fest: 2010

We did a lot of back-and-forths about whether or not we wanted to go to What the heck Fest this year, and after a lot of persuasion and guilt-trips (we gave them to others, too!), we decided to go, and had a nice time. We ended up leaving town late, which was actually okay, and got stuck in traffic. The drive up was longer, but we only missed the Friendship trail, or whatever it was called. Not a big deal.

We showed up just in time to have dinner and catch Lloyd and Michael (with Andrew and Birba playing with them, awesome!), and took all of the K merch to warehouse to set up. Calvin was late to get into town because of his rental car not being ready, so during Broken Water and LAKE, and D+, Joel and I mainly manned the table and sold whatever anyone wanted. Turns out, I can't do math, and am not very good with change. Oh well. Calvin and the interns took over afterward, and I got to watch Mount Eerie (with Nick and Julie of No Kids!) and Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat Dan Singa.

It was all really good, but I don't think I was really in the mood to be there yet, so we left a little early and went to a place down the street to get fries and beer (not for me) with Mike, Ben, Judy and Joel. Way more mellow, and an alright end to the evening. Joel and I went back to our car after to find a place to car camp. Oh man, our new car -- not the most comfortable ever. Turns out, it's a little shorter than the last car, and not the most awesome to sleep in.














We woke up real early (well, around 7) to make our way down to Shipwreck Days! I was really getting stoked on this, and between meeting up with people, and just wanting to look at everything, we probably walked the whole thing three to four times. Just for the record, Shipwreck Days is a city-wide garage sale (for the most part), and it is awesome. There is soooo much stuff. Unfortunately, everything was a little more than I wanted to spend, and I walked away from the most beautiful vintage shiny wallpaper ever. I came back, and it was gone -- and later met the person who bought who is using it to wrap his Christmas presents this year. Ugh, what a waste.


We had breakfast with Judy, Emily, Eli, and Ben (and Joel!), and while Judy and I went to look for treasures, everyone else went to The Business to see Calvin play. I only found two yards of 80's looking fabric (you can see one in the very top picture), and Judy is displaying her treasures below. I passed on all of the troll dolls that I found, but I sure am ready to start that collection up again.


I take that back -- I bought one small troll doll for Joel B. -- a Batman troll! We came back to Causland Park to chill for a bit and decide what to do next.





We were able to round up two car loads of people to go to Deception Pass, which none of us had ever been to before. Talk about gorgeous! We walked across one side of it, but Joel got scared, and the two of us went back to the land to check things out. Pretty awesome, though.






We lost the second car of folks, and decided to drive across to Bainbridge Island (I think that's the one that connects?), and made it only to the visitor's center, where we found some cool lit-up rocks, and awesome paintings. We got directions for ice cream and Mount Erie.




Probably the prettiest view that I've seen in the PNW so far. I mean, really, look at all of those islands!




We made a quick stop at the store for BBQ materials, and went back to the park for dinner. Yum!










Joel and I decided to leave a little early, but headed back to the warehouse to see No Kids (well, Nick and Julia anyway) first! Amazing!! I love those dudes SO MUCH.




And it worked out that we stayed for Karl Blau also (with LAKE as his back-up band). Always great.


After that, we made a stop for gas, donuts and coffee (just for Joel), and he drove us the whole way home. We made it home super fast, and once we were in bed, almost asleep, and we heard our door open! The Terrordactyls had a show in Oly that night, and before I knew that we were coming home early, I had offered them our place/bed. There was some confusion with text messages, and we both though that the others weren't staying there. Scariest/funniest moment ever. It was nice to wind down with Michael and Tyrel, and sleeeeeeep in (especially in our own beds!). I can't wait to see what happens next year. Maybe we'll actually camp this time! :)

No comments: