Friday, November 5, 2010

Hawaii Trip 2010: Day Three!

Hilo!
This was the inside of my hotel room at the Hilo Seaside Hotel. It was totally cute and clean, but look at the windows -- can you see them? They aren't real windows! They lead to the outside and pool area of the hotel, but don't actually really close. I felt like I couldn't even turn the tv on or talk on the phone while I was there (not that I had reception anyway). You could hear every single word anyone was saying. Not my favorite, but still not a bad place to stay.
The outside of the hotel, it was really nice during the day!
The first thing I did that morning was head to Rainbow Falls. See the little rainbow in there? It's no coincidence. :)
And then back to town to figure out what I was doing. Of course I stopped at the thrift store, and wanted to take this home so bad. I took a picture instead.
I decided to walk around downtown and went to the Farmer's Market, since I was down there.


I bought a bag of these fruits (I'm not sure what they are??), spring rolls, and an ice-cold lemonade for lunch and snacks.

I also brought home a brand-new, quality (not touristy) ukulele for Joel's birthday present!
After the Farmer's Market, I decided that I had seen enough of Hilo and started back towards Kona. I took the scenic 4-mile drive because, why not? SO BEAUTIFUL. Probably on my top things that I did. It was gorgeous!

More butterflies.

I'm obviously on the wet side of the island!


And then I made it to Akaka Falls to walk around and check out the waterfalls. So pretty!










I took the road towards Waimea and found a nice little park with surfers!

Greenest pastures on the island.

Pretty blue waves.


I stopped at the Waipio Valley lookout to check out gorgeous view (there is a black sand beach down there too!), but only 4-wheel drive vehicles are allowed to drive down into the valley. This unfortunately, would have violated my car rental agreement. This also prevented me from driving to Mauna Kea.


More turkeys!

Got caught in a small rainstorm, which was actually really pretty.

And I made it back to my hotel, stopping along the road at the White Sands Beach. More surfers!

I decided to walk to dinner, and you couldn't have asked for better weather. I ended up getting a Hawaiian grilled chicken burger, with a few chocolate macadamia nuts. Mmmm! When I finally made it back to my hotel room (back at the Royal Kona), I discovered a new friend on the ceiling above my bed . . . a gecko!
I called housekeeping to come take him to a new home, and made my way to the pool to swim around at sunset and watch the Luau happening right next to me. Kind of awesome! The sun went down around 6pm every night , so it was real easy to just relax and get to bed early (to wake up early!). Kind of my favorite schedule ever. Why is it so hard to do that when I'm at home??

Love,
Sarah

No comments: