Sunday, February 20, 2011

the past two weeks: in photos


I'm pretty behind on updating what has actually happened lately -- or even in the past (!), but I'm giving it a shot!

My friend, Chase, that I went to college with came into town this week to visit his brother, who happens to live in Olympia, as well! How fun! We got together and he was super sweet and bought me lunch. A little bit after, we went for coffee and chai, and drove to a couple of my favorite places in Olympia to look at mossy trees and to search for jellyfish in the sound. Chase told me all about every boat in the marina, tried to grab a live crab from the water, and wowed me with how amazing he's doing. It was a super nice, refreshing, and inspiring afternoon!


Yesterday, after getting downtown a little early (um, about 45 minutes early?) for a shoot with a really sweet and fun band (their video is below -- AND AMAZING!), we stumbled onto a sign for a flea market (brand new to Oly?), and totally followed it. Most of it was okay, but not really anything I cared for, except for one totally amazing booth. It.was.incredible. We got the call that we had to leave to meet the dudes, but I totally went back today, and spent at least half an hour looking at everything (and I think I still missed a lot!). I'll definitely be going back next week to look at their new stuff/see what other pretty presents I can buy for my friends and family. I don't think that I went totally overboard, but I did get a few necklaces, sweater clips, and earrings (not all for me!).

. . . And I forgot to mention the really amazing thing about this shop! It's all jewelry from 1969 that was packed away in a storage unit until now. Over 2000 boxes of jewelry were packed up with a little piece of chalk (to absorb moisture), only to be sorted through now. So, it's never-before-worn 1960s jewelry. Isn't that the coolest? It feels really special to me. I feel like I pass on a lot of jewelry at thrift stores, because it doesn't have a story, and I don't want to just keep bringing home jewelry . . . but these totally feel special and beautiful. My favorite kind!








Last weekend, Joel and I took a mini day trip to see the Mima Mounds, for a possible photo shoot location. We couldn't actually find it to save our lives (we turned the wrong way!), but we found a few pretty (and wet and mossy) places along the way. Once we had finally decided to head home, we took a wrong turn and found the mounds! Ha! Totally not shoot-worthy, but still pretty cool to see. I'll bet they're beautiful in the summer (or basically, when they're not brown)!











The night before that, we had our sweet friends, Joel and Ness over for dinner to thank them for feeding our kitties while we were away from Christmas (late much??). It's always super nice to hang out, and we always end up playing a little dominos . . . and this time, watching tons of Waynes World and hip hop youtube videos. Isn't that how hanging out at our house ends up every time? It was great! Our dinner was AMAZING, and our company was perfect. So much fun!




And then the night before that (we're working backwards here!), our sweet friends, Mike and Beth, had us over for a little bbqing/campfire time before their new baby showed up (she was finally born yesterday! Yay!), and we sat around for five hours eating grilled potatoes and apples, and hanging out with them and our other friend, Ben. I kept busy by taking pictures of the moon, while balancing the camera on my lap. It was so perfect, and surprisingly awesome for a February night (shouldn't it have been snowing or something?). :)






We had a super successful team lunch with all of the dudes at work the day after Valentine's Day!



Gibbs found new hiding places/sleeping holes (what a baby!). . .




Mariella, Kelly, and I went up to Seattle to see a lecture at the Henry by Khaela Maricich (of The Blow) and conceptual artist Melissa Dyne (she showed a video from another show that I was at four years ago -- with the audience and the paper!), and then out for dinner at the Palace Kitchen with our friend, Ingeborg. It was amazing!






And on my walk to work, I saw this pretty (pretty giant!) Blue Heron. Pretty awesome!


Hope that your week was just as good!

Love,
Sarah

No comments: