Monday, November 12, 2012

procession of the species!

2012!
I am so behind on my blogging that I was able to go to the same event two years in a row, and I'm just now getting around to posting the photos . . . how silly is that?  Anyway, one of my very favorite things about Olympia is the Procession of the Species.  It's basically a parade to pay tribute to all of the living creatures on the planet.  It happens during the Spring Artswalk weekend every year, in two parts.  Friday night is the Luminary Procession, featuring all of the glowing creations, which starts in the middle of downtown and walks its way with drums and followers down to the lake, where they send fire-lit balloons into the sky.  It's short, but always features the best designs, and is just so darn pretty.  It's totally my favorite part.  


2011!

2011!
The next day is when the actual Procession of the Species happens, and it's divided into categories, depending on what you want to be.  The cool thing about the Procession is that anyone can be a part of it, and there is a warehouse downtown, open to the public, to work on your costume or float.  I've been to four processions already -- maybe I should put something together and participate next year!  Maybe someone wants to do this with me??

These guys were most definitely my favorites -- they were digging up geoducks!  They had a funny routine/dance to trap the geoduck, and at the end when they "dug it up", he spit water all over us!  It was pretty clever!  






2012!

This guys and his lady-friend were my favorites this year.  It was such a cute and well-executed idea!




Not much changes from year to year, but it is totally worth going to if you're in town!

Love,
Sarah

No comments: