Tuesday, April 30, 2013

cliff dwellings in manitou springs, colorado

After our trip to Garden of the Gods, we drove to Manitou Springs, CO to see the Manitou Cliff Dwellings.  I didn't even know these existed until Joel's dad mentioned them the night before.  I wasn't sure what to expect, and though it was overall really impressive, it was disappointing how much of the cliff dwellings seemed like they were new.  From what I recall, these were relocated from the Four Corners area in the early 1900s, and even though that's not relatively new, there was so much to the area that seemed as though it was replaced often.  I've never been to Mesa Verde, but I always imagined it to be fairly untouched -- I was hoping that this would be untouched too.  Is it bad to wish that this place was in worse shape?

Aside from the cliff dwellings, there was a tiny and beautiful museum, and the biggest gift shop I've ever seen.


Love,
Sarah

No comments: